Wednesday, July 13, 2011

What I See, Not What I Know

I wanted to start another blog, but it took me a while to figure out 'about what.' I don't want to force a blog just to say "oooh, I have another blog." So, I waited and waited, and bounced ideas off my fellow blogger-Chrissie. And, one day I realized that my favorite things to post on Facebook are the things that I see or witness around town.

I love walking, I would much rather walk around town to run errands instead of drive; and, if you have ever been to Santa Barbara, you understand that the one-way streets and limited street parking, you would want to walk too. Though, I do have to say that I find it sad how many people say "wow, that's really far away" and yet, it's not even a mile, half mile, or more than a few blocks.

Last week was one to remember: I was headed to Staples and saw a man dressed as Jesus, yes Jesus, not another character, Jesus. He was wearing a long white robe, had his beard grown out, was holding an over-sized bible (one foot wife by at least eight inches tall), and was preaching at people. It's one thing to setup a sign or pray station, it's another to yell at random people who are passing you by.

Further down the block was an older man by Cost Plus World Trade Center with a little music station set up. He had an old school boombox and a clarinet and I truly could not walk by him fast enough. I hope he was tone deaf, it sounded that bad. To make it even more memorable, it was old jazzy tunes.

After I was done with Staples, I walked back up State Street and saw that the man dressed as Jesus had also made his way further downtown. A woman in front of me made me take another look, her dressed looked like it was directly out of the 1980's. My first thought was definitely of Sarah Jessica Parker in Sex & the City (mainly the first movie when she goes through her closet, twenty years of clothes, trying everything on and dancing). And then, I caught a whiff of her and dang, it was rancid, just as bad as if it were one of the regular homeless people.

These are the details that fly through my brain when I am walking around town, enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Wait, that could be the real Jesus...

    ;) Yay for blogs! Can't wait to become a regular reader!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome, thank you Sarah!! I'm hoping with a more 'focused' blog people feel more inclined to comment LOL. I love your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Was that the Asian Jesus? He's been around SB as long as I can remember. But I've never heard him speak....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yep, it was the Asian Jesus!! I haven't seen him before though I've heard of his existence. He was talking to people on the street, pretty entertaining

    ReplyDelete