Friday, September 2, 2011

WOD: "Annie"

My life changed when I found Cross Fit. I will always be grateful  for my friend who introduced me to it and for the coaches and friends who continue to cheer me on.

There is something about doing this workout that just gets my brain in competitive mode. I love that there is no running (though I've been doing the elliptical and running more because I am not good at it) and i don't feel like dying. Not that it isn't hard, good grief it is, but man, I want to get better at it!!

By far, the hardest thing for me in Cross Fit is to be last so much. I hate being last.  I've never been that athletic, yes, I've been involved in sports but I readily admit that I was never on the top tier. I've done softball, track, dive team, swim team, and in college I learned about this thing called 'the gym.'

I know that everyone has varying background and athletic histories but it is still hard for me to not expect myself to do as well as other people. Some of the skills in Cross Fit are extremely challenging for me: rope climb, hand stands, hand stand pushups, dips, muscle ups. I love lifting weights. I'm not as excited for running long distances and I don't remember a time where I have ever been.

The "Annie" workout (for time) is:
50 double unders
50 abs
40 double unders
40 abs
30 double unders
30 abs
20 double unders
20 abs
10 double unders
10 abs

I am disappointed in myself, I did not beat my last time today when I did this workout. I need to be able to do 40-50 double unders in a row without stopping: efficiency. I need to also be faster with situps. The hardest thing I have, mainly with the double unders (or running for that matter) is catching my breath, I basically can't, no matter how many puffs of the inhaler I've taken.

I love jumping rope, I always have and it's one of the few things that bring back happy memories from being a kid, especially being a kid in gym class with limited natural athletic talent. I don't mind abs but I definitely want to get more efficient at them. As a flautist, I'm very excited that I've been strengthening my ab muscles and actually learning what it means to 'engage' them. Sheesh, even writing this I feel like a little kids learning skills I apparently never learned. I hope I don't sound like a couple doofus.

As is true to my nation, I am probably being too truthful but I'd rather share in hopes that someone can relate to what I'm saying and provide words of wisdom!

1 comment:

  1. Um, CrossFit? BADASS! I don't even think I could last a workout, let alone join a CrossFit gym! You rock.

    ReplyDelete