Thursday, September 1, 2011

Tattoos

I guess I do not really mind them but I think I honestly just don't get it.

Seeing them on really young kids makes me a little sad. A couple days ago I saw a boy (who couldn't have been more than 15 years old) with a gang tattoo behind his right ear. I think about how much I have changed, how much my circumstances have changed since I was 16 and I cannot imagine wanting the same things on my body. So, no, it is many years later and I have not gotten any. I probably never well, they're just not for me.

But, in the process of trying to understand other people and not judge, I bring these questions to you.
1. What are your thoughts on tattoos?
2. Do you have any? If so, how many?
3. When did you get it/ them?
4. Are there any that you regret?

I've been watching LA Ink, which I actually find quite annoying but I find the reasons why people get tattoos fascinating. Everyone has a different reason, a different image or set of words, and yet it's all the same. For the people who want to remember something special, may I ask, why is a picture on your wall not enough to suffice? If you want to remember a specific day, why is a memory not enough?

Now, if I were to lose a small child or family member who didn't live a long enough life, I could understand being devastated, not knowing how to deal, and wanting to memorialize them on your body. And yet, where does it stop? How many people would have to die to decide that you were no longer going to tattoo them on your body? If you have a large family like mine, which people would you put on your body and which people would you leave off?

I'm a musician and I've seen some pretty cool music tattoos. (and here comes the 'yet'): I do not feel the need to get a picture of a flute tattooed on my chest or arm, which is why, again, they just are not for me. If they make you happy, I think people should get them. I've known many people who've been tattooed in a drunken stupor, only to wake up with snoopy on their thigh or a lightning bolt.

I have one friend who has the most random tattoos and she said she just likes them. So yes, everyone has a different reason, different meanings, some have no meanings at all. I wish more people would save to pay more for a better artist because I feel bad when I cannot tell what something is and I don't want to be rude and ask.

A couple weeks ago, I saw a woman at the Farmer's Market who had a half sleeve and it was a picture of a heart and bacon, with the words "I Love" tattooed above it. Hmmm. I'm not even sure what to say about that.

Right now, I am rambling so I may edit this more later, but for now..... check these out:

2bdd3ddf-79f9-408d-8bc0-4dc87660dd84.jpg
93ebfc37-aff5-453b-bba0-df4fdf90af4b.jpg
42d70644-34f7-4efc-a4dd-417cba14d93c.jpg

2 comments:

  1. I feel the same way about tattoos. Here's another tattoo website which I find hilarious: http://hanzismatter.blogspot.com/ You won't believe how many dumb people there are out there getting "Asian" tattoos, but they don't research the meaning behind it before getting it permanently tattooed on their bodies forever.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love it Steph, thanks for sharing that site! That happened to a friend of mine!

    ReplyDelete