Friday, August 5, 2011

Viva La Fiesta

Every year, Santa Barbara puts on Viva La Fiesta, a tribute to "Old Spanish Days."
http://www.oldspanishdays-fiesta.org/new/index.php

There are usually a lot of tourists and foreigners in Santa Barbara but this weekend is crazy. On the Friday of Fiesta, there is always a parade. Locals put their lawn chairs and blankets out to save their spots, and even after 5 years (holy bananas how has that much time gone by!!??) I think it is weird. I cannot imagine that in most towns these items would last long without being stolen. A friend mentioned that to me today and I am glad I'm not the only one who finds this an oddity.

There is a custom with Fiesta that people buy confetti filled eggs and I wish I knew the story behind it. All over State Street (and side streets) there is confetti and parts of egg shell strewn everywhere. I saw the cutest little girl today trying to crack one on her slightly taller brother and she wasn't coordinated enough to do it. She finally stretched as tall as she could, crushed the egg in her hand, and pushed it into his hair. I actually LOL'd.

No comments:

Post a Comment